2020-21 State of the School, Title 1 Family Info & School Improvement Plan
School Improvement Plan
** 2020-2021 **
Clara Barton Open School is a student-centered, public K-8 magnet school fostering a community of active, socially conscious, life-long learners.
Our following values are rooted in Progressive Education:
- Instilling a love of learning.
- Valuing each child for his or her perspectives.
- Interdisciplinary curriculum and culturally responsive instruction.
- Developing a community of mutual respect and equity.
- Creative, courageous and collaborative inquiry for all.
- Child-centered decision-making & self-directed learning.
- Educating for a democratic society.
Barton Open School is a Kindergarten through 8th grade school located in Southwest Minneapolis on 4237 Colfax Avenue South. Barton Open is one of 11 magnet schools in the Minneapolis Public School System. Our School Principal is Diane Bagley and Assistant Principal is Maria Rollinger. There are 728 students enrolled. Of the 678 students enrolled, we have the following student demographics:
Barton Open School serves students living in Southwest and South Minneapolis.
2020-2021 SIP SMARTGoals DRAFT:
- School Climate/SEL: Social-Emotional Learning goal: All staff will explicitly teach identified and developed SEL lessons K-8 and Virtual Responsive Classroom strategies to increase student engagement and attendance from 93% to 100% by June 2021.
- School Climate/Equity: Equity Gaps goal: the average percent daily attendance for All student, particularly Students of Color will increase from 61% to 86% by June 2021
School Improvement Strategies:
Social Emotional Learning Lessons for all K-8 students: SEL
offered both in synchronous and asynchronous learning
progress monitored learning learning of skills
Virtual Responsive Classroom: SEL
provide Professional Development for staff in RC practices virtually
daily morning meetings and Closing Circles "Live"
progress monitored learning of skills
Student/Family Engagement: Equity Gaps
active phone calling, emailing and reaching out to students and families
active addressing of technology and material needs of students and families
set 1:1 meetings/goal setting conferences for students and families
progress monitor attendance and academics of students
Other Impactful Strategies:
- Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS): established and systematic approach of implementing research-based interventions around literacy, mathematics and behavior. There is an established MTSS team to collaborate with teachers and other staff who work with individual students to engage in a plan of success.
- Upstream Arts: Upstream Arts is part of Barton Open’s engagement strategy for some of our students to connect and engage in community building through shared creative experiences.
- WISTL- There are two staff cohorts who work with our School Social Worker around mindfulness and how to incorporate mindfulness in their teaching and their work with students.
- Social Skills Coaching- School Social Workers will meet with small groups of students to teach and model social skills in an engaging experience